United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) | Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) | May 2021
InterWorks led the IASC Emergency Team Leadership Programme (ETLP) online training, organized by UNHCR on behalf of the IASC from 21 May and 24-27-May 2021. At the request of the IASC, UNHCR serves as the institutional home for the ETLP by facilitating the tendering, overseeing the design, and ensuring the delivery of the learning program. The ETLP is an interagency blended training programme which reinforces individual team leadership competencies and fosters effective, efficient and professional leadership in humanitarian emergency team settings.
More concretely, participants in the ETLP:
- increase their capacity to lead teams effectively in emergencies
- self-assess and obtain feedback on leadership strengths and gaps
- enhance their self-awareness as a leader
- learn and practice active listening skills
- distinguish between leadership styles and their uses
- identify strategies and tips for leading teams remotely
- consider decision making factors in emergencies
- enhance negotiation skills
The weeklong online training course was preceded by two weeks of pre-workshop assignments including self-assessments and readings. The instructional and learning methodology for the course combines short presentations, case study analysis, self-assessments, group discussions, table-top role plays and simulation exercises, readings, peer feedback and exchange of experiences. Participants represented NGOs (11), UNHCR (2) and other UN agencies (3) including IOM, UN Habitat and UNAMI from around the world including Africa region (7), Americas region (4), Middle East region (3), Western Europe region (1) and Asia region (1).
Thanks a lot for organising the training, it really was a valuable experience for me. There is perhaps a little bit more adjustment needed for the new remote world but, in general, it is full of excellent sessions and materials.– Workshop participant