InterWorks facilitated the biennial UNDPPA/UNDPO online Actionable Conflict Analysis for analyst and desk officers, and mission staff, from UN Department of Peacebuilding and Political Affairs (UNDPPA) and UN Department of Peace Operations (UNDPO) from 8-12 November 2021.
The ACAT is a foundational course introducing staff to conflict analysis, which informs Peace and Security strategic options, measures and interventions that contribute to preventing conflict and sustaining peace within a broader integrated cross-pillar UN system response.
This is a foundation-level course tailored to junior and mid-level professional desk officers (P2 to P4 levels) with little formal exposure to conflict analysis studies or those who would like a refresher. Interested staff at the P5 level are also welcome to apply. Sessions were presented by InterWorks, UNDPPA, UNDPO, EOSG, Institute for Peace and the Swedish Folke Bernadotte Academy (FBA).
The format of the training includes presentations, moderated plenary discussions, case studies and groupwork exercises. Course themes include:
- What conflict analysis is, when and why it is needed
- Analyzing the links between proximate and structural causes of conflict
- Identifying key drivers of escalation of violent conflict
- Deepening analysis by applying human rights considerations, gender lenses and political economy perspectives
- Determining how climate risks may exacerbate tensions and serve as a threat multiplier
- Analyzing the dynamics of conflict using concepts from systems analysis
- Understanding how e-analytics methods and tools can advance situational awareness and evidence-driven decision-making
- Collaborating with colleagues on conflict analysis